Monday 11 February 2013

Interview with Author Vi Keeland, author of 'First thing I see.'

Yes I am back up and running, full steam ahead. Don't know how long for, but this is a brilliant ride.

I'd like to welcome Vi Keeland, who so kindly allowed me to interview her about her book, influences and top tips/advice.
The review of 'First thing I see' will be available tomorrow to read, with links to the book in both the USA & the UK Amazon site. Aswell as me posting the links after this interview.


Here is the interview -


Q1 - Do you think writing was a calling?

I do! Writing a book is something I’ve always wanted to do. Unfortunately, I didn’t give in to the urge until six months ago. By day, I am an attorney, so writing is part of my every day life, just not the type of writing that you will find in First Thing I See .



Q2 - Who are your influences?

I really wish I could say Emily Bronte or James Joyce, but if I’m being honest, the only time I’ve read the classics was when they were assigned in school. I’ve always been a smut reader. When I was a teen I found Danielle Steel and underlined the racy parts from Judy Blume’s Deenie. Last year I was hooked on Fifty Shades, Sylvia Day and Kristen Ashley. You definitely won’t find War and Peace on my kindle!  



Q3 - Greatest author, in your view?
I would probably vote for C.S. Lewis for greatest author. But in erotica, my favorite author is Sylvia Day. John Grisham also never fails me, if I am in the mood for a legal suspense.


Q4 - Top 5 favourite books?
Chronicles of Narnia, Wizard of Oz, Fifty Shades of Grey, Hopeless and Memoirs of a Geisha.


Q5 - What inspired you to write this story?

E.L. James! I found Fifty Shades of Grey inspiring for more than the obvious reasons. In my opinion, she brought erotica to mainstream and, after reading her story, I was inspired to write mine! My husband was also a great inspiration; he encouraged me to do it and had more faith in me than I did.


Q6 - How long did it take to write and edit?
It took me about three months to write and edit it. Then I let it sit for two months and went back and did a clean read for a final edit. I needed some time before I could do a final edit because I was too close to the characters and couldn’t find my errors.


Q7 - Did you find the whole process difficult?

The writing was the fun part, the marketing and networking is the difficult part. I found the self-publishing feature of kindle really easy and was pretty shocked at how I could find my work on Amazon is less than a few hours!


Q8 - For this book, did you do any research? If so, what research?
I didn’t really do any special research for writing this book. All of my research time was spent on how to market the book and get it out into the public.


Q9 - What advice would you give budding authors?

Do it! Don’t put it off! But join some groups on bookblogs and goodreads and talk to other authors that are out there in your genre. They have great advice to share and most are happy to help. Learn who your target audience is and then learn how to market to them! My target audience uses twitter and I didn’t even really know how twitter worked!


Thankyou Vi for your wonderful interview, I wish you all the best and success for your book.

Look out for the review of 'First thing I see' tomorrow.

Below are the links to Vi Keeland's book 'First thing I see.'


No comments:

Post a Comment