Tuesday 12 February 2013

Book review - First thing I see by Vi Keeland

Okay, hello people.
Before we approach the review, I'd like to say I read this book 'First thing I see' four times, twice as a critic, in order for me to see it from a neutral viewpoint, it was then I realised I must also read this as a reader, just an ordinary everyday reader, so I read the book twice more, but as a reader rather than a critic. So this review will (obviously) be seen through both the eyes of a critic and an avid reader.

Here is the review -

'First thing I see' By Vi Keeland is an amazing rollercoaster ride.
The introduction of Hope (the main character) and her best friend Shauna are good. From the off you can feel something is going to happen, like a spark, it needs a source.
It feels as if we are at the beginning of someone's new life, a fresh start from a possible bad time from another town/city.
The big question is - will it all go plan? Or will it divert to another station?
The introduction of the main male character is good, this makes Hope go weak at the knees, so much so she can't stop thinking about him.
Both Hope and Kennedy meet once again in the hotel bar, it is at this point you can feel the build up of tension and attraction. This was very well executed.
There is even more tension when Kennedy all but seeps her away from her best friend, in order to take her out for desert.
From here things start to simmer, but there is an element of apprehension from both characters, Kennedy because he is a shrewd calculating bussiness man and Hope because her past is the one thing holding her back.

The bond between these two characters grows and grows, but as it does so, complications from their past starts to catch up on them.
Will both of them survive? Will they finally open up? And where will their relationship end up?

As a reader this is heartbreaking and heart-warming, the characters are complex but that is due to their past, the characters are life like and stand out as a beacon for both love, life and letting go of something that consumed them for so long.
I cannot tell you enough, how much I love this book. It had me laughing, crying, smiling and cheering for Kennedy and Hope.
As always there's a naughty character and this happens to be Hope's stepmother - Candace, who is complicated, selfish, loathing and down right nasty. Kennedy deals with her, with such ease, it is funny to see how he handles her.


This book has an erotic element, but it isn't over the top, it is the perfect balance.
Over the past 18 months erotic novels for me, have been a part of my reading material.
But like I say this book has the perfect balance of comedy, love, erotica, tears and beauty.


I would certainly give this 4.8 out of 5, obviously there are little niggles, but these are minor and do not disrupt the flow of the story over-all.

Here are the links to the book -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Thing-I-See-ebook/dp/B00AWXY3HG/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

http://www.amazon.com/First-Thing-I-See-ebook/dp/B00AWXY3HG/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1360673360&sr=1-1&keywords=first+thing+i+see+by+vi+keeland

1 comment:

  1. You read it four times! Gosh that is dedication to duty, Nadine.Though your review makes it sounds as though you enjoyed it every time which is a great recommendation.

    Great to have you on the team yesterday. Really appreciated your help.
    Madeleine x

    ReplyDelete